14 May 2014

The Digit-al Dozen does Decades - Lava Lamps, but 1990s ones (bear with me!)...

Hello everyone! The title here warrants an explanation. There's nothing to say that I can't do the same decade twice, but I really didn't intend to. I had this idea which is pure 70s (as was my paisley mani on Monday) for lava lamps and really wanted to put it in. So seeing as I didn't own a lava lamp until 1995, I'm going to pretend (and hope that you'll all go along with me!) that these are those famous lava lamps from the 1990s! Shhhhhhh! ;)


My stiletto tips gave me a great starting point, and I started by painting them with I'm Never Amberrassed from OPI's Sheer Tints range. I then painted the base and the tips with Nail Essentials Silver Shimmer and a little Ciate Vintage topped with OPI Matte top coat. Once dry, I used LA Colors Moody Red for the "lava", and added detail in using Barry M Gelly Papaya and highlights with Models Own Lemon Meringue. Here's how they turned out :)





So there you have my 70s/90s mani, I have a new decade for you tomorrow and there may even be one from another century before the end of the week (if it comes off, that is!). 

Tomorrow will be a now rare two post day as its Scarlett's 8th birthday and I promised her that she could help me write a post (she also painted my nails), so stayed tuned for those and in the meantime check out all the other fabulous Digit-al Dozen manis via the links below! :)

Sam xx 


9 comments:

  1. Such a cool idea and perfectly executed! Where did you get the tips from? I ordered some but they were too short for my long nail beds, even when I cut my nails down to nubs. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are fabulous Sam! I love how you captured the light on the lamps and the glow great job xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really cannot even fathom how you executed this. It's absolutely fabulous - one of my favorite manis ever! SO much depth and texture in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty! I just love lava lamps, and your manicure is really amazing. The way you used the colours gives so much depth to the manicure, really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cool! I am really loving your take on this theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this so much! I got my first lava lamp in the 1990s too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are SO perfect!! I love those famous 1990s lava lamps. I think mine was from the very early 2000s

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first lava lamp was circa 1995 as well! Fuchsia wax in reddish tinted oil. Ahhh... those where the days!

    ReplyDelete